Re: [dev] [st] will global-less changes be wanted upstream?

From: Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 00:36:31 +0200

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 06:00:54PM -0400, Andrew Hills wrote:
> On 8/17/14, 3:47 PM, FRIGN wrote:
> > The world you're living in is the walled garden of OS X.
> > It's your choice to either attempt to improve it, which is futile, or
> > enter a world in which improvement is possible in the first place.
>
> I have to use OS X sometimes for work.

I have to too, from time to time.

> It's still a general-purpose operating system, and you can still run
> arbitrary programs on it.

That's true, but you don't aim very high here.

> It is closer to BSD than Linux, aside from the GUI layer.

No. OSX is not usable for anything without the proprietary pieces. I
personally don't trust a system that needs blobs to run, and I think
that's the way to go.

> But it ships with a working X server, and it has a working C compiler,
> so st worked fine until a few commits ago right out of the box.

Don't make yourself at home on OSX!

> I use it when I use OS X because I like using the same tools
> everywhere.

Don't make yourself at home on OSX!

> And I use suckless tools because their simplicity makes them easy to
> port everywhere.

Don't make yourself at home on OSX!

> I will never be at home the way one can be in a system built one's
> self, but my preferred working environment is not so complex that I
> can't replicate it almost anywhere I need it. So regardless of
> Steven's goals, I appreciate his efforts that will, in the end, make
> the time I spend wading in the GUI sewage of OS X so much less
> painful.

Don't make yourself at home on OSX!
Go and read [1].

Kind regards,