Re: [dev] [st] will global-less changes be wanted upstream?

From: Andrew Hills <ahills_AT_ednos.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 18:00:54 -0400

On 8/17/14, 3:47 PM, FRIGN wrote:
> The world you're living in is the walled garden of OS X.
> It's your choice to either attempt to improve it, which is futile, or
> enter a world in which improvement is possible in the first place.

I have to use OS X sometimes for work. It's still a general-purpose
operating system, and you can still run arbitrary programs on it. It is
closer to BSD than Linux, aside from the GUI layer. But it ships with a
working X server, and it has a working C compiler, so st worked fine
until a few commits ago right out of the box. I use it when I use OS X
because I like using the same tools everywhere. And I use suckless tools
because their simplicity makes them easy to port everywhere. I will
never be at home the way one can be in a system built one's self, but my
preferred working environment is not so complex that I can't replicate
it almost anywhere I need it. So regardless of Steven's goals, I
appreciate his efforts that will, in the end, make the time I spend
wading in the GUI sewage of OS X so much less painful.