Re: [dev] Re: [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 17:16:16 +0200

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 04:39:15PM +0200, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> writes:
> > TLDR: I'm writing an experimental but (hopefully) highly efficient vim
> > like text editor based on a piece chain data structure. You will find
> > an url to a git repository at the end of this rather long mail.
>
> Funny, I just thought tonight about a variant of vi where the newline is
> a real char... you implemented it exactly like this! (E.g. $x is like
> J, otoh $rX doesn't work like that...)

Hopefully fixed now. It was that way because $RX (i.e. in replace mode)
new lines should not be overwritten.

> o seems to be broken on the last line.

A lot of stuff is broken on the last line and therefore also on the
command prompt. The problem is that the iterator API currently only
works on [0, size-1] whereas movements to the end of the last line
end up at size.

> Looks very promising already!

Thanks!

> Perhaps the editing mode could be shown in the mode line.

I agree.

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0