Re: [dev] [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:42:37 +0200

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 11:32:44PM +0200, Christian Hesse wrote:
> Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> on Sat, 2014/09/13 16:01:
> > TLDR: I'm writing an experimental but (hopefully) highly efficient vim
> > like text editor based on a piece chain data structure. You will find
> > an url to a git repository at the end of this rather long mail.
>
> Hallo Marc,
>
> that sounds really interesting.
>
> I have to admit that I have not (yet) read through all of your mail. I gave
> it a test, though. Compiles fine, opening /etc/fstab and playing looks good
> so far. Saving to /tmp (:w /tmp/fstab) fails though: It tries to open
> "./tmp/fstab.tmp" (note the leading dot).

Saves to absolute paths should now work. The current approach is to
save the file to "filename~" then rename(2)-it to its final destination.

There is still some work left to be done to make sure data is not
visible to unauthorized eyes. The file permissions / ownership should
be restored if possible. Symlinks are currently not handled correctly
(i.e. they are broken after a save) etc.

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0