Re: [dev] [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Maxime Coste <frrrwww_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 00:12:58 +0100

Hi

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:50:52PM +0300, Dimitris Zervas wrote:
> On September 15, 2014 6:41:29 PM EEST, q_AT_c9x.me wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 02:21:25PM +0100, Maxime Coste wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> [...]
> >> Maxime Coste.
> >
> >I like your advertisement man, keep it up :).
> >I also like advocating for change rather than
> >flavorless copy.
> >
> >- Q.
> Yes, I agree.
> I also like how you post a C++ project with trillions of files, libraries, dependencies and weird black magic, in a suckLESS list, over a hundred of time.

Hard to resist talking about a project I spent most of my spare coding time
on for the last 3 years.

I agree 18000 is not small, but not that big either, clearly reasonable
for the amount of things Kakoune does (and nope, I do not want to replace a
20 instructions function with a fork-exec to use 'tr' to replace tabs with
spaces). 2 hard dependencies (boost and ncurses) with boost getting away once
we get more widely available c++11 regexes is not unreasonable either. For
weird black magic, not sure what you are talking about.

And for C++, well, I know there is some vocal individuals against it on the
sl mailing list, but I think most members are sensible, we do not need to
stay frozen with C89, C++ is bigger than C, more complex, but provides a lot
of abstraction features that makes it easier to reason and organize your
program. I suspect most of the hatred I see here is due to ignorance, low
familiarity with idiomatic C++ and exposure to horrible code (horrible
code being writable in any language).

So yeah, posted about that on the suckless mailing list, which I have been
following for a long time, and whose philosophy I mostly share (and kept in
mind while designing Kakoune).

All that to say, yep, thats maybe the third thread talking about text editors
where I answer referencing my personal code editor, sorry if I made you
feel overwhelmed.

> sorry if I sound mean,

No worries, that is the internet, we all sound mean.

Cheers,

Maxime Coste.