Re: [dev] [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Gregor Best <gbe_AT_ring0.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:56:14 +0200

Hi guys,

I've got two patches and three questions:

First, the patches. The first fixes editing of length 0 files, the second fixes
compilation on OpenBSD. Since _BSD_SOURCE was already present in other files
belonging to vis, I figured adding it to vis.c as well poses no harm.

The first question is about line numbers. Would a patch adding display of line
numbers be accepted, or is that considered unnecessary cruft? I find it makes
jumping through a file a bit easier.

My other question is about piping (part of) the buffer to an external command,
such as fmt. Is someone already working on that or is that something I could
start looking into? Piping would also provide a (stop-gap) solution for :s, for
example by piping to sed or some other stream editor.

I'm also seeing quite a bit of display corruption when opening large syntax
highlighted files, such as window.c and scrolling around the file for a while.
Is anyone else seeing that or is it just me? I'm using tmux and st, if that
matters.

--
	Gregor Best