Re: [dev] Re: [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Ralph Eastwood <tcmreastwood_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:26:41 +0100

On 16 September 2014 23:45, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> The strongest argument for me against C++ is not a technical one, but
> the fact that you are forced to program in subsets.
> This leads to the problem that new developers planning on contributing
> to a project might have problems with adapting to it because it uses
> a different subset of the C++-language than they are accustomed to.
>
> I personally started with C++ a few years back when I began with system
> programming.
> The more I do with C and read about the problems C++-developers have,
> I'm glad about having made the switch to C, even though it was harder
> to learn in the beginning.

Adding to that, most existing C++ codebases and libraries have such
wildly differring styles, writing glue code is a daunting task.
Personally, I've done some C++ for various reasons and I'm fairly able to
read C++ and write "clean" C++
as well as understand the Boost libraries (although some of the
template metaprogramming in there is beyond insane).

I'm surprised you found C was more difficult to begin with; I found C++'s
quirks far more mindboggling to me. Then again, I taught myself x86
assembly programming before C - that made pointers no mystery to me
at all
(I've heard many folks complain bitterly about not understanding pointers).

--
Tai Chi Minh Ralph Eastwood
tcmreastwood_AT_gmail.com