Re: [dev][sbase] Proposal of suckless compression

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 13:39:45 +0200

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:30:21 +0100
Ralph Eastwood <tcmreastwood_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Ralph,

> Some time ago, there was some discussion about sbase's tar with
> compression. I was wondering if this compression tool would
> necessarily have to be a standard gzip/bzip2/xz implementation.
>
> As Gzip,Bzip2 and XZ rely on rather complicated code bases, I propose
> that a different algorithm (probably based off ROLZ), be used
> instead, with a focus on a suckless implementation as opposed to
> speed/compression ratio. Having said that, most ROLZ implementations
> do tend to have greater speed and higher compression ratio than Gzip.

maybe you have followed the discussion about the imagefile-format.
We currently compress to bz2 by default, but are always happy to see
how other algorithms fare with it.
A ROLZ-implementation could be pretty great!

> I know I could easily create a suckless implementation, but would it
> be of interest to be included in sbase or is it beyond the scope of
> the collection of utilities?

If it's so simple, why don't you set it up and we test it out?
I'd love to have a simple, suckless compression-algorithm and
see no problem in adding one to the suckless-universe.

Cheers

FRIGN

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>