Re: [dev] [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:57:31 +0100

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:

>> > Why would one use it?
>>
>> To be able to select lines to be joined interactively instead of having
>> to count the lines by hand (since there's no J<movement>, only
>> <count>J). I do this all the time.
>
> I guess the question should have been: why do you join lines in the
> first place? Especially 'all the time'? Just curious ...

I also do that.

You start writing a struct with one field per line and then you
realise it would actually fit nicely on one line. Same for arguments
to a function. Elements of a string literal. &c. In all these cases,
you select and then join.

I actually have my vimrc setting K as an upward J (i.e., join current
line with the previous one) (although I haven't made the effort to
make it work in visual mode because then I just use J):
nnoremap K :.-,.join<CR>

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Proust