Re: [dev] sed breaks utf8 in [ ]

From: Alex Pilon <alp_AT_alexpilon.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 22:22:24 -0400

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:10:37PM -0400, Roger wrote:
> I just think the end user has a right to limit the characters they
> need to deal with via their keyboard.

So X11 doesn't work well when set to a non-sane locale. Now every
program spawned under X inherits this insane setting and may work
suboptimally. I can't even enter e accent aigū with the compose key.

So by all means, if you want the non-ASCII content on the web, in
emails, and more that you are most certainly to come across to look like
gobbledygook, go set your LOCALE and LANG to C. I really don't get why
you bother. Just because you set that doesn't mean that any program or
library that it uses won't just internally use something bigger than 8
bits to store characters anyhow.

And by the way, if you're one for terminal bling, or your programs are,
you won't get box drawing characters for they are neither in ASCII nor
latin-1.