Re: [dev] books that rock

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:25:50 +0200

Hi,

> maybe I misunderstood this paragraph, but "The Unix Programming
> Environment" is _the_ book for every ongoing unix programmer.
> Even though it has aged over the years, it has aged well and most
> practices shown in the book are still valid today.

Yeah, it is totally true. There are some points that can cause
confusion ($_AT_ "$@" $*), but 99% is correct today. I had a list of
these books, but I cannot find it. From my memory:

- K&R
- The practice of programming
- The dragon book
- The standard C library. P.J. Plauger
- Lions book
- The desing of the unix operating system. J. Bach
- The art of unix programming
- Let's build a compiler (this is a articles serie, but
   there is a compiler version)
- Linkers and Loaders , published by Morgan-Kaufman
- Termcap & terminfo

Books that I have in my list of next readings:

- The awk language
- Software Tools in Pascal, Kernighan and Plauger (I think there is
    a version of this book in C, isn't it?)

Of course, this list is a bit more general and it is about
my personal preferences (I cannot call terminfo suckless,
but I have to deal with it, and this book is the reference
for it).

Regards,

PD: Another topic, I will continue with the patch review the Monday,
that I'm a bit busy now.