Re: [dev] books that rock

From: Jakukyo Friel <weakish_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:41:15 +0800

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Roberto E. Vargas Caballero
<k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:

> - K&R
> - The practice of programming
> - The dragon book
> - The standard C library. P.J. Plauger
> - Lions book
> - The desing of the unix operating system. J. Bach
> - The art of unix programming
> - Let's build a compiler (this is a articles serie, but
> there is a compiler version)
> - Linkers and Loaders , published by Morgan-Kaufman
> - Termcap & terminfo

Some books remid me of suckless philosophy

> Ingenious ideas are simple. Ingenious software is simple. Simplicity is the heart of the Unix philosophy.
> The more code lines you have removed, the more progress you have made. As the number of lines of
> code in your software shrinks, the more skilled you have become and the less your software sucks.

I think this also applies to books. Less pages usually means better quality.

For example:
- "The little schemer" (recommended by pmarin <pacogeek_AT_gmail.com>
  On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 1:48 PM) is ingenious.
- K&R is nice. (A bit outdated though.)
- Dragon book is thick and complex (also outdated).