Re: [dev] RSS

From: Michael Savage <mikejsavage_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 20:45:28 +0100

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 05:03:16PM +0200, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> * Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu> [2015-05-07 16:19]:
> > P.S.: Maybe there is some other nice feed reader out there that I don't
> > know about. tt-rss, miniflux and all the others are monsters
> > unfortunately.
>
> I had the same thoughts last week and implemented my own rss2maildir
> script. The idea is to have a maildir which could be synced to a
> smartphone or read in mutt. All feed are ordered chronologically, new
> entries are new mails and I can flag mails, which I still want to read.
> I've implemented a prototype in Python (yes, I know) and would happily
> share it, if someone is interested.
>
> Cheers Jochen

I implemented something similar to this: some Haskell to scrape feeds to
a sqlite DB, and some Lua to pipe articles to sendmail.

https://github.com/mikejsavage/rssc and
https://github.com/mikejsavage/rssc-sendmail

rssc is the only thing I've written in Haskell outside school so it's
probably bad, and it uses obscene amounts of memory because it's
Haskell, but it does work.

Mike