Re: [dev] dmenu segfaults when pressing control+enter without a selection

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:24:19 +0100

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 10:02:17AM -0500, Greg Reagle wrote:
>> On 10/18/2015 06:46 AM, Markus Teich wrote:
>> >…and of course the always loved “update patches from the wiki to apply cleanly
>> >against git HEAD”.
>>
>> Just started to try to do so, and now I really understand why people hate
>> stylistic source code changes. :>
>
> Bingo. I now have 15 patches I have to fix because someone decided they
> didn't like booleans

The booleans were a mess, in particular earlier in libdraw. It used to
use Bool at some places which were X11-specific and are against the
point of libdraw.

> or the location of the opening brace for function
> definitions in dwm. I don't like the opening brace of functions sharing
> a line with the function parameters, and I don't use booleans in C I
> write for myself,

It is up to the maintainer to decide the style, but dwm, dmenu, sbase,
st, ubase etc now share the same style, which is really nice imho.

> but having to redo all my patches is far worse than
> either of those things.

This is in part because there was no stable release in a long time and
the changes were big (libdraw, xft). There is now a (stable) dwm and
dmenu release were you can rebase your patches on once (dwm 6.1, dmenu
4.6). The development (git) version of a project can change faster and
patches on the wiki won't be taken in mind. Note though that suckless
doesn't maintain stable branches of software, only tag a commit at
some point as a new version (linear).

I will be busy the coming weeks, but I plan to (help) update the dmenu
patches on the wiki atleast.

Kind regards,
Hiltjo