Re: [dev] another text user interface for sam

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:46:19 +0000

On 29 February 2016 at 18:51, Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu> wrote:
> Another approach would be to write a structural regexp library. Then
> structural regexp's could be available to other programs.

I've been thinking about this, actually. What might be even better is
a regular expression library which just makes it easy to build
structural regular expressions on top of it. The interfaces of common
libraries, be they Unix or Plan 9 or RE2, are not sufficiently
expressive to support this, which is why those programs that do
feature structural regular expressions have a custom engine baked in.
This would require quite careful planning of the library's API in
order to work well, though. I'm giving it some thought at the moment
anyway.

cls