Re: [dev] [sbase][RFC] diff: only support for unified context

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 12:32:26 +0100

On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 12:23:07 +0100
Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:

Waidmannsheil, Mattias,

> I'm thinking about removing support for all
> output formats except unified context from
> my diff(1) candidate. I want to hear your
> opinion.

> -f
> -e
> (no flag)
> -c

> Unified context is also the easiest output to produce.
> Additional, I believe the output formats are not
> actually used anymore in the real world.
>
> All output formats except unified context would
> simplify diff(1) vastly. And I don't see any reason
> why diff(1) needs to support multiple formats.

I totally agree with this. I personally use the unified
context format exclusively, and git kind of made it
default as well.
The other formats always strike me as problematic to work
with, with little more than legacy value.
However, on the other hand I'm very open if others correct
me and give me an example where one or multiple of the other
formats are still in use today.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

FRIGN