Re: [dev] structural regular expression support for vis

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:07:49 +0000

On 12 March 2016 at 17:44, Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 08:08:38PM +0100, Marc André Tanner wrote:
>> - There will likely be bugs, memory leaks, crashes, infinite loops etc.
>> YOU are supposed to fix them and submit patches ;)

When typing `:sam<enter>` the editor segfaults. I'll hunt it down and
fix it whenever I have a bit of time to spare.

> Hence the sam command ,x/pattern/ can be abbreviated to x/pattern

Because of habit with sam, I started testing with `,x/pattern/` and
got an "Unknown command" message from vis. Without the comma, it
“worked” (i.e., did not print a message). Two things:

- Are you trying for very high compatibility with vanilla sam?
- The message is very confusing. (I first thought the `sam` command
was not recognised by `vis` which lead me to triple chek I had the
correct branch and all. I think the message means that the sam
component of vis thinks I am using `,` as a command and that is
wrong.)

> - In text entry \t inserts a literal tab character (sam only recognizes \n).

Is it because you plan on having <tab> be bound to something like
autocomplete on the command line?

There are many bugs related to addressing and such. Here are a couple
basic examples:

`ggvG:sam y/\n/i/FOO` only inserts "FOO" at the start of the first
line. It should do it on every line.
Same when using `x/^.*$/` instead of `y/\n/`

Something related to vis (but not to the sam component): when typing
`:<up>` the command edition buffer opens. It might be because I'm used
to vim, but I'd rather have that buffer start in normal mode. (Normal
mode is what I expect new buffers to start at.)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Proust