Re: [dev] [sxiv] Discussion

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 23:33:06 +0200

Greetings.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 23:33:06 +0200 FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> Hello fellow hackers,
>
> don't take it personally, Bert, but I don't think your project sxiv[0]
> belongs to the suckless git-repository.
> Not only is it licensed with the GPLv2, which is despicable in itself,

Everything should be GPLv3, you are right.

> but the code doesn't even look suckless to me and there are good ways
> to go around the whole image-format-cancer-spread nowadays.
> Look at how sent does image handling; it's definitely best to push this
> task toward other tools, like farbfeld, for easy internal handling.

Please don’t waste that much resources on viewing a big picture directo‐
ry. You are making it worse.

> Do we really need a project the size of dwm to display images?

Yes, because it does more than handling image display. It knows a thumb‐
nail mode to organize and easily select many images, which is very use‐
ful for organizing big image directories.

> The name suckless stands for quality software, which foremost tries to
> accomplish elegance and simplicity. There are already too many git
> repositories in git.suckless.org, and added to this it seems the sxiv

Where’s there no simplicity in sxiv?

> repo on git.suckless.org is just a github mirror, with all its implied

Yes, it is the mirror. Sadly sxiv was first on the fascist github. We
can’t revert history. Maybe when github closes due to its unicorn nature
people will come back to sanity.

> beauty[1]. Do I really need to dig around github now to see what the
> commit fixed?

You see the code and the comment. What else do you need?

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann