Re: [dev] [sxiv] Discussion

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 23:55:16 +0200

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 23:33:06 +0200
Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:

Hey Christoph,

> Everything should be GPLv3, you are right.

let's not discuss this here. You know my position on the GPL,
and I know yours.

> Please don’t waste that much resources on viewing a big picture
> directory. You are making it worse.

Have you ever actually tried it? The farbfeld tools were pretty slow in
version 1 but improved dramatically and now are pretty fast.

> Yes, because it does more than handling image display. It knows a
> thumb‐ nail mode to organize and easily select many images, which is
> very useful for organizing big image directories.

Now that is a good point which justifies code complexity.

> Where’s there no simplicity in sxiv?

There are multiple aspects, but for instance how giflib is woven
into the code. The attempt to handle EXIF-data so gracefully is
honorful, but for many formats, it's just a big mess.

> Yes, it is the mirror. Sadly sxiv was first on the fascist github.
> We can’t revert history. Maybe when github closes due to its unicorn
> nature people will come back to sanity.

The real question is: Where does main development happen? On GitHub or
here on git.suckless.org?

> You see the code and the comment. What else do you need?

A description in the actual commit what the underlying problem was? Is
it too much to ask?

Cheers

FRIGN

--