Re: [dev] less(1) replacement?

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 13:31:42 +0000

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 02:58:34PM +0200, Stéphane Aulery wrote:
> Go and Oberon are better than this crazy ecosystem.
> They solve the problem of compilation and object orientation.

go is quite worse than rust. go has mandatory garbage collection, and its
bootstrap compiler is gcc (now c++ mandatory), no effort on a "working kernel"
as far as I know (at least they are trying with rust). rust has in-syntax
string management, why not in-syntax thread management while they are it. Their
bootstrap SDK is a pile of insane junk (mozilla based, then expected).

Well, I'm waiting to get a working basic kernel coded with go. I think they did
try with ada. Good luck for the GPU drivers.

> Scripting languages are not bad but should not be used for low-level bricks.
> It should be for a final software, a prototype, or non-redistributed
> administration scripts. As long as they are much higher-level languages
> they must also be used only in the highest layer of a system.

For the reasons I gave, those "interpreted" languages should be avoided like
hell, they are sneaky and really bad, and avoiding the "war" between all
interpreted languages is already so much added value that it is worth it. The
only sane way is a set of simple SH scripts orchestrating a set of C coded
programs: YES, I will take a bit more time to code, YES, I will compile, but OH
GOD! I'M WON'T FUCKING DEPEND ON THOSE... (insert pejorative anything here, it
will do).

--
Sylvain