Re: Re: [dev] [sxiv] doesn't want to be compiled

From: Bert Münnich <ber.t_AT_posteo.de>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 10:43:27 +0200

On 07.10.17, Cág wrote:
> I've tried it, the output complains about missing object files:
> ---
> cc: autoreload_inotify.o: No such file or directory
> cc: commands.o: No such file or directory
> cc: image.o: No such file or directory
> cc: main.o: No such file or directory
> cc: options.o: No such file or directory
> cc: thumbs.o: No such file or directory
> cc: util.o: No such file or directory
> cc: window.o: No such file or directory
> *** Error 1 in /home/caoc/code/suckless/sxiv (Makefile:30 'sxiv': cc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o sxiv autoreload_inotify.o command...)
> ---

Your '.c.o' suffix rule is not executed because the suffix list gets
cleared at the end of the Makefile. You either have to delete the
'.SUFFIXES:' rule or add another one with '.c' and '.o'.

> On a side note: I suppose you are the author, any plans to make the Makefile
> portable?

Yes, I am. Unfortunately for you, I have no such plans. I rather use a
portable make than bother to write a portable Makefile. Also,
out-of-source builds are much harder if only using POSIX make syntax.

Maybe it's better to write a new minimal BSD Makefile using bsd.prog.mk
instead of tailoring sxiv's GNU Makefile to make it work with BSD make.

        Bert