Re: [dev] [sxiv] doesn't want to be compiled

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 13:01:49 +0200

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 10:43:27 +0200
Bert Münnich <ber.t_AT_posteo.de> wrote:

Dear Bert,

> Maybe it's better to write a new minimal BSD Makefile using
> bsd.prog.mk instead of tailoring sxiv's GNU Makefile to make it work
> with BSD make.

just read the POSIX spec[0] on make and stop thinking within the bounds
of BSD or GNU make.
It's hard to make it right, but I went through great efforts to make
the farbfeld makefile[1] truly portable. Another good resource and
closer to your needs is the, also portable, slstatus makefile[2].

We need to stop falling for the fallacy that "portable" means "works
with BSDmake and GNUmake". Truly portable means consistent with the
POSIX spec.

With best regards

Laslo

[0]: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/make.html