Re: [dev] [st] [patch] If no Glyph Found, Do Not Keep a Font Loaded

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 15:18:29 -0700

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 05:42:07PM -0400, Gary Allen Vollink wrote:
> Any request for a glyph that isn't present will load the LastResort
> font, effectively killing all future fallback searches.
>
> I have NO idea how to fix this without opening the vacuum of space
> (wow, a lot of suck). I will note that if frc[] is not an array then
> it wouldn't be checked for an already opened font (fixed)! I am still
> NOT advocating this.
>
> Fontconfig sucks.

I have a patch for st that allows the user to define multiple fallback
fonts as an array:

https://github.com/ericpruitt/edge/blob/master/patches/st-00-font-array-support.diff
This doesn't necessarily eliminate the problem, but by explicitly
specifying fonts for languages you care about, you can at least mitigate
the problem for the common case of languages you care about.

Eric