[dev] [surf] unreliable loading of multiple requests over tor

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:18:22 +0000

Hi all,

I've had this issue with surf forever, but it is gradually becoming
more of a problem as the web gets ever further away from HTML pages
served over HTTP.

When using Tor+Privoxy in standard configuration, and sending surf's
traffic through that by setting the http_proxy and https_proxy
environment variables, complex pages generally never fully load.
Specifically, they will partly load, say to 80%, but remaining
transfers never complete. When I say "complex pages", I mean pages
which have serious javascript stuff going on, like Google Maps and
Google Docs. Sometimes they load fine, but more often they do not.
I put up a screenshot of an example failure with the web inspector
at: https://njw.name/tmp/surfmaps.png

This never happens when using Tor Browser, though that uses its own
Tor process.

I don't find connection problems using Tor+Privoxy with other tools
like youtube-dl or wget, but then there aren't so many simultaneous
requests.

Possibly related (though I haven't had time to investigate much
yet), the cloudflare captcha page often fails to load the captcha
part of the page, with a "400 Bad Request" on the payload URL that
looks like this https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/payload?c=[longstring]

As you can tell, I haven't done a lot of debugging on this as of
yet, but I thought I'd post here to see if others have experienced
the same issues, or have any thoughts as to the cause of them.

Nick