Re: [dev] Scrollback utility for use with st

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 09:58:06 -0400

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020, at 04:40, Laslo Hunhold wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 08:48:38 +0200
> "Silvan Jegen" <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> But how often do you get some output and think "oh, I
> actually needed that"

Yes that happen to me occasionally, which is why I use the scrollback patch for st. I find it much easier to hit Shift+PageUp than to rerun a command. And when the output of a command changes with time, re-running it might not get the same output.

> This is exactly the anti-pattern I pointed out. Given windows are not
> kept at fixed sizes in a tiling wm, st _especially_ needs to satisfy
> that it is not "affected" by resizes.

I use dwm so my windows are resized a lot. It would be great if st could be resized without losing text. I notice that dvtm and tmux handle a shrinking window differently. In dvtm, the text is just cut off; in tmux, the text is wrapped. Both of them restore the text properly when the window is enlarged again. I think I like the dvtm (truncation) way better, but I don't really know or care that much. The important thing is that the text is not lost.