Re: [dev] [surf] XDG conformity

From: Michael Hendricks <michael_AT_ndrix.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 22:41:46 +0000

Hi Janek,

> After trying surf recently, I was appalled to see a ".surf"
> directory in my home. Is XDG basedir compliance not natural in
> suckless software?

dmenu is the only suckless software I know that does anything related
to the XDG basedir spec. I think the suckless way is to implement one
simple approach and let users patch in their favorite way.

A thread from 2010[1] suggests that many suckless users don't favor
the XDG approach. My setup has XDG_* variables, but I wouldn't expect
support from suckless out of the box.

I hope that helps.

1: https://lists.suckless.org/dev/1012/6624.html