Re: [dev] Special target ".POSIX" in Makefiles

From: <craekz7_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 12:53:59 +0100

> Yeah you make a strong argument. I too think a linting tool would be
> useful. I imagine it would function like shellcheck does for shells. If
> nothing else it would really help people identify GNU extensions vs
> portable behavior.
Something like shellcheck would be awesome! Given that the POSIX
Makefile syntax isn't very large or complicated, the implementation of
such a tool could be pretty simple (in the manner of suckless).
Although I wouldn't mind a strict POSIX compliant make(1) without any
extensions. There a far too few programs that could be used to
verify compliance with standards (and buying a test suite isn't a
great solution).

--
craekz