Re: [dev] Suckless CMatrix clone

From: Kyryl Melekhin <k.melekhin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 12:27:45 +0000

Hello Ryan,

Ryan Raymond <rjraymond_AT_oakland.edu> wrote:

> Hello all. I'm working on a suckless cmatrix clone.
> It's not done yet, and it still suffers from constant memory leakage, but
> I'm having fun working on it.
> It already shows 50% reduced cpu/ram usage vs cmatrix, despite greatly
> improved fps. Furthermore, because it doesn't rely on ncurses, it respects
> terminal transparency which is super cool. It works especially well with
> our own st/background-image patch.
> I just wanted to know if it would be possible to host this on suckless.org
> in the future, and what I would have to do to do that.
> I still have so much work to do. but I'm having a blast. This is by far my
> largest original computer program, and my first attempt at an open-source
> project.
> Thanks.

Cool, but why use Glib? You can come up with some random utf-8 character
generator function, it's pretty trivial and there are plently of examples
in many suckless programs on how to do utf-8 validation.

Oh and yeah, the program works but it's weird, the screen is flickering
and not smooth like cmatrix.

So yeah, report back when you master the program and make it perfect.
You're on the right track, though maybe a few years til the art of
programming in C really starts to click in.

Regards,
Kyryl