Re: [dev] ii: how to process out in a pipeline and still page with less

From: Rodrigo Martins <rm_AT_firemail.cc>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 22:20:05 +0000

It was thus said that the Great Markus Wichmann once stated:
> And you fundamentally cannot change anything about the userspace of another program, at least not in UNIX.

When I open file descriptors and exec(3) the new program inherits those. Is that not chaning the userspace of another process?

It was thus said that the Great Markus Wichmann once stated:
> Having one special-case program is better than changing all the general ones, right?

Sure is. Too bad the stdbuf(1) uses such a fragile mechanism.

What if instead of changing every program we changed the standard library? We could make stdio line buffered by setting an environment variable.

Rodrigo.