Re: [dwm] Interesting idea by Gottox

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:57:43 +0100

Tako rzecze nummer5_AT_frittenforke.de (w e-mailu datowanym 2006-11-30, 14:32):

Hi,

> Anyway, I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but wouldn't it be
> a little more consistent to apply the tag that is viewed when a program
> is started instead of the tag that is viewed when the program pops up?
> This gives the user a little bit more control.

This might not at all be easy to implement -- I only know one window
manager that does this, namely kwin, even though I didn't much like KDE
in general that was the reason I used it for a while as my wm.

It let's you start an app, forget about it and get on with your work
(viewing other tags (or other workspaces in KDE)) without the app's
window suddenly appearing in front of you and stealing focus/disrupting
your stream of thought and so on... This matters especially in apps that
take years to load (like firefox, opera, OOo and other such bloated
stuff).

Arg -- is this remotely possible in something as minimalistic as dwm?

As to the four sets of keypresses available in dwm, let users decide
which way of working they feel most at home in and they will make the
relevant shortcuts most comfortable. I usually use win-# for viewing a
single tag and ctrl-win-# for viewing multiple tags. However I don't
think it's wise (it won't benefit anyone) to limit users working other
ways.

Cheers,

antoni

--
. Antoni Grzymala - antoni (at) chopin.edu.pl -------------------.
| OpenPGP KeyID EB315583 available now from a keyserver near you |