Re: [dwm] Interesting idea by Gottox

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:05:33 +0100

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 02:57:43PM +0100, Antoni Grzymala wrote:
> Tako rzecze nummer5_AT_frittenforke.de (w e-mailu datowanym 2006-11-30, 14:32):
> > Anyway, I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but wouldn't it be
> > a little more consistent to apply the tag that is viewed when a program
> > is started instead of the tag that is viewed when the program pops up?
> > This gives the user a little bit more control.
>
> This might not at all be easy to implement -- I only know one window
> manager that does this, namely kwin, even though I didn't much like KDE
> in general that was the reason I used it for a while as my wm.

kwin uses the so called startup-notifcation X extension, which
is no option for dwm... Also, X does not provide any information
about the relation process -> window, simply because X is
network transparent and hence such information don't scales well
among hosts (I believe the startup notification hack in
KDE/Gnome and XFCE?) only works locally.

> It let's you start an app, forget about it and get on with your work
> (viewing other tags (or other workspaces in KDE)) without the app's
> window suddenly appearing in front of you and stealing focus/disrupting
> your stream of thought and so on... This matters especially in apps that
> take years to load (like firefox, opera, OOo and other such bloated
> stuff).
>
> Arg -- is this remotely possible in something as minimalistic as dwm?

Yes, define a rule for such apps, that they go to the 'crap' tag
or something similiar. (look into config.arg.h how I handle
firefox, it doesn't interrup my workflow when I don't view the
'net' tag during startup).

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361