[dwm] dmenu request

From: Bill Puschmann <puschy_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:34:03 -0500

I'm curious if it would even be possible to allow typing into dmenu before
the "tab-completion" fields being piped in are populated.

The current setup/expected configuration is to compile and sort a list of
executables - which is great when I'm not in the middle of something
processor intensive. At these times, hitting the dwm shortcut for dmenu
takes forever. One of the things I liked about the WMII implementation was
that it allowed to you start typing anyway, before the list was created.

So in a situation where I want to bring up "rox", I could drop to the bar,
type 'rox', hit return and be done with it. But now I have to hit 'dmenu'
wait upwards of 30-50 seconds, type 'rox' and then it would appear. It's
actually faster to open up a new terminal, type 'rox &; exit'.

Perhaps some sort of shell magic to get all pipes correct? I'm just not
sure.

Bill

--
Pancho needs your prayers, it's true.  But save a few for Lefty, too.
-- T. Van Zandt