[dwm] console equivalent for dmenu?

From: Karl. <kmw1_AT_free.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:24:48 +1300

I've been thinking about converting some of my old pre-dmenu scripts
over to use dmenu instead of dialog. Most of the time, these scripts
are run in an X11 environment, but sometimes I want them at a plain old
console.

I was wondering if anyone has a dmenu-equivalent script or program
which can be called as an alternate for those times when there's only a
console. It doesn't have to be particularly pretty or efficient, but it
would be really handy if it just took the same arguments as dmenu, and
produced equivalent results.

It would even be acceptable to wrap dialog in a script so that its
inputs/outputs look like dmenu. It would be nice, though, if it did the
same key-by-key pattern matching that dmenu does. If no-one else has
already written something then I'll just hack something up (maybe
another good lua programming exercise for me :-)

Karl.