Re: [dwm] dvtm feature-request - vertical stack on left

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:03:39 -0800

* Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> [2008-02-25 18:11:11 +0100]:

>Hi Charlie,
>
>On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:55:46AM -0800, Charlie Kester wrote:
>> Please add a layout with vertically stacked windows on the left rather
>> than the right. Somehow it feels unnatural to have the master area on
>> the left. Maybe it's because I'm a native English speaker accustomed to
>> reading left to right...
>
>Your reasoning seems a bit strange to me. So your reading left to right,
>and don't start on the top left corner? Or are you saying that you are
>looking most of the time at one of the stacked windows?

Yes. Because I'm accustomed to reading left to right, my eyes are drawn
toward the right. (I'm told that when Japanese look at the famous
woodprint of the Great Wave, they scan it from right to left, so that
they see the wave last, rather than the boats. For English readers to
get the same effect, we have to flip the picture. You can see the same
phenomenon with manga.)

Here's another reason for having the lstack layout: I have a dual
monitor setup, and with the patched dvtm I can have a terminal window on
each monitor. On the left monitor, I use lstack. On the right, normal
tiling. Then the master areas of the two dvtm's are nicely "centered",
and the stacked windows are at the edges. This helps me focus on the
two master areas and do side-by-side comparisons of their contents.

>Apart from some whitespace damages your patch looks good. I am however
>not yet sure if i will include it in mainline dvtm, but thanks anyway!

I might be the only one wanting it. So as long as you provide source
code I can patch, I can live with the decision to leave it out.