Re: [dwm] snapping bugs with multiple screens

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:13:37 +0200

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 01:03:19AM +0200, Antoni Grzymala wrote:
> John A. Grahor dixit (2008-05-07, 17:57):
>
> >> Having to use the mouse a lot can suck, but following Fitts' Law makes
> >> it suck /significantly/ less, in my opinion. It might seem like it'd be
> >> bad to not be able to move a window partially off-screen, but I don't
> >> think I've ever intentionally meant to do so. The WindowLab wm[3] has
> >> this feature, among many other interesting mouse-based behaviors. Using
> >> it for a while a few days ago, I found this feature in particularly to
> >> be very nice.
>
> [...]
>
> > I do what you propose eliminating all the time. Floating windows are
> > annoying enough without having to look at all of every one of them. dwm has
> > no concept of minimize other than sending to an unviewed tag but sometimes I
> > want to get a window out of the way without sending it to another tag where
> > I have to go looking for it later. The easy way to do that is to move it
> > mostly off the screen.
>
> How about a compile-time toggle for this behaviour? I personally agree
> with the former poster, perhaps because the first windowing system I
> used on a major scale was Amiga Workbench which did not allow moving
> windows off-screen (but had a notion of sliding screens, emulated by
> AmiWM IIRC). WindowsLab seem to be inspired by the Amiga WB too.
>
> But obviously this does not have to suit all people.

My intention is only about reconsidering DEFGEOM and its impacts
to find a suitable solution for the long-term. My requirements
are:

- reduce compile time options
- no native Xinerama/XrandR support
- still the ability to use a layout among different physical
   screens due to variables (maybe layout variables)
- removing all the clunk which isn't used (it's time again to
   get rid of some stuff in hg tip, after a lot has been applied
   and needs to be reconsidered if it's really used).
- the bar won't go away

Kind regards,