Re: [dwm] [dwm+owner@suckless.org: Messages from dwm@suckless.org to you have been bouncing]

From: Neale Pickett <neale_AT_woozle.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 21:17:26 -0700

Premysl Hruby <dfenze_AT_gmail.com> writes:

> I had saved one bounce message mlmmj received from your MX, and it
> looks like your MX is acting very strangely (bounce message attached
> to this email).

Wow, his MTA (or maybe MUA) is sending out a delivery status
notification, saying that the message was delivered. I didn't think any
MTAs actually did that, it can create many problems (like the current
one).

Joerg, you should check your mail client to see if it's sending out
delivery status notifications (DSNs). What's happening is that your
mail client, or your mail server, is responding back to the message
saying "I got it!" mlmmj (the list software used at suckless.org, which
I happen to have contributed to) treats any response to the envelope
sender address as a bounced message.

I'm guessing there's some sender on the list who requests delivery
status notifications on their outbound messages, and this is why you
only see the bounces occasionally.

I'll refrain from expounding on my opinion of DSNs. Check the Internet
if you're curious.

Neale