Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:35:20 +0100

Thanks for all the valueable input so far in this thread.

I think here are the action points:

1) I plan to separate the bar stuff code-wise into two portions -- the
tag bar with tags and layout info, and the title/status bar, but
things will stay as they are from a user perspective, it's just some
code cleanup which allows replacing the tagbar and/or title/status bar
with something else (or avoiding to compile it in)

There might be possible pango/cairo implementations of this stuff, I
plan to have a font API interface, something like libsfont which is
used by dwm and dmenu to start with, and which depends on either Xlib
or some more fancy sucking stuff optionally.

2) I need to investigate into the reparent stuff first, I really
dislike going the reparent route, because each parent window consumes
much more X resource memory (basically twice the buffer sizes as we
have already if you use a reparenting WM -- this makes everything
slower). I really think bug the authors of the broken apps to fix
their apps that they do not assume a reparenting WM.

So the action here is: let's make a list of all apps which are known
to be broken and behaving strange with dwm first, that I can
investigate.

- Mathematica (Version?)
- ... please provide input

3) I agree multihead has got some preference, I like the approach to
assign certain tags to specific screens.

Kind regards,
Anselm