Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Enno Boland (Gottox) <gottox_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:12:59 +0200

Hi there !

2009/4/27, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>:
> Thanks for all the valueable input so far in this thread.
>
> I think here are the action points:
>
> 1) I plan to separate the bar stuff code-wise into two portions -- the
> tag bar with tags and layout info, and the title/status bar, but
> things will stay as they are from a user perspective, it's just some
> code cleanup which allows replacing the tagbar and/or title/status bar
> with something else (or avoiding to compile it in)
Nice idea. I ever thought dwm's status bar is to deep in the code.

> There might be possible pango/cairo implementations of this stuff, I
> plan to have a font API interface, something like libsfont which is
> used by dwm and dmenu to start with, and which depends on either Xlib
> or some more fancy sucking stuff optionally.
I would prefer plain xlib, but otherwise, as you said, it really sucks
for fonthandling. So, yea, it's ok for me :)

> 2) I need to investigate into the reparent stuff first, I really
> dislike going the reparent route, because each parent window consumes
> much more X resource memory (basically twice the buffer sizes as we
> have already if you use a reparenting WM -- this makes everything
> slower). I really think bug the authors of the broken apps to fix
> their apps that they do not assume a reparenting WM.
>
> So the action here is: let's make a list of all apps which are known
> to be broken and behaving strange with dwm first, that I can
> investigate.
>
> - Mathematica (Version?)
> - ... please provide input
What about an compile time switch which turns reparenting on and off
globally? I don't see any sense to differ between broken and not
broken apps clientwise. This would add to much complexity. And I
believe someone who uses Mathematica should not care about some KB of
stuctures. Otherwise on an embedded device where one need every free
kb, nobody would use these kinds of apps.

> 3) I agree multihead has got some preference, I like the approach to
> assign certain tags to specific screens.
You already tried this between 4.7 and 4.8. That was the time I
detached my branch, because there was just no sane way to implement
it. I prefere the approach of dwm-gtx, because it's very simple and
does not fuck up the tagging concept.

--
http://gnuffy.chaotika.org - Real Community Distro