Re: [hackers] [quark] Use sizeof() instead of magic constants || FRIGN

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 09:37:17 +0200

On 5 September 2016 at 09:25, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 07:42:36 +0200
> Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Quick note: your syntax usage of sizeof is not 100% accurate.
>>
>> Use 'sizeof(type)' with brackets but 'sizeof var' without.
>
> I use sizeof always function-like and see no reason why I shouldn't use
> "sizeof(var)" and instead use "sizeof var". It doesn't alter the code
> behaviour and ultimately it's all about readability.
> If you eyes have become accustomed to always use function-like syntax
> for such operators the best bet is not to break this style because it's
> not "necessary" to have parentheses for variable sizeof's.

I disagree. Not using parentheses as sizeof arguments makes it pretty
clear, that the expression is *not* about the size of a type, but
rather needs to be evaluated. In dwm/dmenu code this has been
respected until now for a very long time. I would keep this principle
in place for other suckless tools as well.

Cheers,
Anselm