Re: [hackers] [farbfeld] Makefile-workaround for OpenBSD || Laslo Hunhold

From: Quentin Rameau <quinq_AT_fifth.space>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 18:46:53 +0200

> Makefile-workaround for OpenBSD

At last!

> Thanks Hiltjo for reporting this!

Well, I've been warning you with the first patch long ago.

> For some reason, OpenBSD make does not add $(BIN).o to the
> dependency list when it sees the $(BIN) target rule. It does so
> however when it does the conversion from .c to .o.
> This behaviour is unique for OpenBSD make as far as I've seen,
> and for the time being, this workaround will manually add the object
> to the dependency list.
> This is not POSIX compliant and in GNU make it just evaluates to
> an empty string, but it works until this has been investigated
> further.

The issue is that OpenBSD make doesn't take in account the inference
rule because of the added silent dependency.
It looks a lot like it's an obsd make issue, I didn't personally took
too much time to go through the source when the issue arose two months
ago.