[wmii] removing 9base dependency, depending on plan9port as option, switching back to sh?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:11:33 +0100

Hi there,

I now agree with Uriel, to abandon the 9base tarball, but with
another impact. I don't think it is a good idea to make wmii
dependent on any original Plan 9 stuff, instead I think it
should be ok to provide and maintain the rc scripts as an extra/
flavor for Plan 9 lovers (those should depend on plan9port in
the future and might also want to use plumber to do the event
loop work).

Thus I ask for someone willing to write sh-scripts again based
on the stuff we have in hg tip under wmii/rc/ (maybe bogon?) and in
wmii/cmd/wm/wmii (it is much lesser stuff than in wmii-2.x or
before, maybe 150LOC of sh code, an experienced sh-lover should
be able to convert it in 1-2 hours).

The rc scripts should go to extra/ which might be shipped in
a wmii-extra-<VERSION>.tar.gz tarball in the future.

The only requirement is, that it is sh and not bash, thus it
should work well with ksh, sh (BSD), and bash, which means, only
use the sh subset - like we had it once in wmii-2.

What do you think? I'm convinced that is the better way, to
spread out wmii-3. Additionally I'm willing to support Russ Cox
to push plan9port forward to be included in default
distributions.

PS: Yes, and reinventing wheels is bad.

Regards,