Re: [dev] uzbl

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 22:30:46 +0200

On Sat, 23 May 2009 15:26:22 -0400
Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 08:48:28PM +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> >> No, it doesn't. I'd be in favor of it, but it would require
> >> switching over to xulrunner and breaking compatibility with
> >> other extensions (some of which are too useful to give up).
> >
> >did you mean switching away from xulrunner? firefox (and hence
> >vimperator) use xulrunner, no?
> >May I ask which FF extensions you like so much?
>
> Yes, Firefox uses xulrunner, but it's a xulrunner app in and of
> itself. The other option is to run directly on xulrunner,
> without all of Firefox's trappings, and thus have more control
> over its inner workings.
>
> As for the extensions, it's not so much that I like them as that
> I need them. I occasionally have to do web development work, and
> there's no way I'm giving up Firebug, for instance. I also tend
> to miss Adblock a lot when it's gone (but webkit has a
> counterpart). Something akin to NoScript would be nice, but I
> hate that heap of crap. Every time I've tried to take apart its
> internals to make it usable, I've given up in anger. Other than
> that, I've replaced most of my extensions with either Vimperator
> scripts, or additions to Vimperator itself.

I hear you. firebug rocks. I will probably also keep using
FF+firebug+web developer toolbar, but just for developing/debugging/..
web pages. Eg purely as a web development tool. (unless i find
something better). Uzbl aims to be a browser, not a do-it-all, so I
think it's a win-win. Though there is an inspector for webkit, which
may not be as feature complete as firebug, and in the future we may add
some features to enable/disable some things. Most things a person
could need can probably implemented in cleaner, more unixy ways with
uzbl and scripts. Just thinking out loud. We'll see what the future
brings.

> >did you mean wmii9menu ? I'm also a wmii user but I have no wimenu on
> >my system. I prefer dmenu since you can control it with the keyboard.
> >(in fact I prefer dmenu-vertical, a patched version from someone on
> >the arch forums. screenie: (the top menu)
> >http://www.uzbl.org/img/screenshot-2.png)
>
> No, I mean wimenu (bundled with wmii). It's like dmenu but, in
> my opinion, better.
Weird. I fetched the wmii 3.6 tarball, but it only contains wmii9menu.
no wimenu. I even got the latest wmii+ixp-20080520
No wimenu either. I downloaded both from
http://code.suckless.org/dl/wmii/
Though wimenu is shown @
http://code.suckless.org/hg/wmii/raw-file/0ab9741bbff2/cmd/menu/
Now I'm confused...

> >> You probably are.
> >
> >Please enlighten me then :) What does vimperator do more then
> >providing a vimlike interface?
>
> Well, don't get me started on the vim-like interface. There's
> this edict that we have to stay “mostly” vim compatible, which
> means a bunch of muddled inconsistent interfaces imported from
> vim and some vim-like keys that do something completely
> different than your fingers are programmed to recall. But, I
> digress...
>
> From my perspective, other than a fairly usable interface,
> vimperator is pretty much just a framework to make my browser do
> what I want. I've been doing what I can to untangle the codebase
> into a bunch of modular APIs that don't really care what you do
> with them. At this point, I pretty routinely write plugins in a
> few lines of code, in a single file, that do the work of massive
> Firefox extensions. At any rate, Vimperator doesn't really
> get along well with Firefox. We more or less fight it tooth and
> nail to try and be more vim- or Unix- line.

I see. thanks.

> >In your other mail you specifically mentioned you are interested in
> >integration with wmii. Well, me too :) I would like to hear your
> >ideas.
>
> Well, I don't have any concrete ideas, other than using wimenu
> for the command line. I suspect that once I've used it for a
> while, though, I'll want some application specific window
> management logic. I think I'd be likely to use a group of tags
> instead of a single tag with multiple windows with multiple
> tabs.
>
> Sorry for any rambling. I haven't slept.

When you have slept and have a clear mind, read my "instances
management" proposal I showed you in my previous mail. I think you
might like it.

Dieter