Re: [dev] uzbl

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:51:43 -0400

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:30:46PM +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
>I hear you. firebug rocks. I will probably also keep using
>FF+firebug+web developer toolbar, but just for developing/debugging/..
>web pages. Eg purely as a web development tool. (unless i find
>something better). Uzbl aims to be a browser, not a do-it-all, so I
>think it's a win-win. Though there is an inspector for webkit, which
>may not be as feature complete as firebug, and in the future we may add
>some features to enable/disable some things. Most things a person
>could need can probably implemented in cleaner, more unixy ways with
>uzbl and scripts. Just thinking out loud. We'll see what the future
>brings.

I know that Safari's developer tools are awesome, but I don't
know how much of that is included in webkit. As for more unixy
ways to do things, yes, there are. I added powerful javascript
command line completion and object dumps to vimperator last year
(and have improved it since), and I tend to use it a lot in web
pages, and tend to use it a lot to debug web pages, etc. (e.g.,
document.getElementByClassName("foo-class<Tab>). That way I can
interact with the DOM without any fancy GUI. I can barely
tolerate all the clickyness of Firebug's UI, but I still need
some of its features, and haven't figured out how to duplicate
them in a more Unixy way. If there's some way to hook into WebKit's
DOM, I'd like to add an external interface to it.

>Weird. I fetched the wmii 3.6 tarball, but it only contains wmii9menu.
>no wimenu. I even got the latest wmii+ixp-20080520
>No wimenu either. I downloaded both from
>http://code.suckless.org/dl/wmii/
>Though wimenu is shown @
>http://code.suckless.org/hg/wmii/raw-file/0ab9741bbff2/cmd/menu/
>Now I'm confused...

Yeah, it wasn't in 3.6—I think every wmii release to date has
been done behind my back, and 3.6 is old. I'm working on getting
3.7 out the door, but I have a few touch-ups to make first. It's
in the latest snapshot.

>When you have slept and have a clear mind, read my "instances
>management" proposal I showed you in my previous mail. I think you
>might like it.

Yep, I glanced at it and I plan to.

--
Kris Maglione
Simple things should be simple.  Complex things should be possible.