Re: [dev] uzbl

From: Thomas Gallen <kaori.hinata_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 18:15:48 -0400

> I know that Safari's developer tools are awesome, but I don't know how much
> of that is included in webkit.

From what I've seen pop up in Arora and Midori, a lot has. Everything
from the javascript profiler and debugging to the live dom tree views,
load graphs and such. However, I don't know how much attention anyone
else has given these tools yet since, as of the latest webkit and
Midori/Arora, the inspection and debugging tools still contain even the
same UI and textures as it's Safari styled version. Their stability at
times is also rather suspect, however, the stability of those tools
even in the Safari betas is sketchy, so I'm most likely speaking too
soon.

I haven't looked at these tools on the backend though, so I can't really
speak for the backend but from what I've used of them, they're probably
tied closer to webkit than anything else. Grab yourself a sufficiently
new version of webkit-gtk and Midori, enable Development tools, then
right click and element and inspect. All of the debugging tools UI is
webkit rendered, just like the Safari version and because of the lack of
attention to the debugger UI, it's pretty obvious that both it and the
debugger accessible in Arora are most likely one and the same. Just
neglected for the moment.

Thomas