[dev] dwm: XComposite patch

From: <thomasspurden_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:35:32 +0100

I have been using dwm for a long time now, and there is one thing from
Compiz/OSX desktops that I miss; Exposé. I often find myself getting a
little confused about where all my windows are, and want a nice
overview. The only way to do this properly is with XComposite. I would
like to point out now that this does not add support for any of the
fancy transparency/shadows etc. that Compiz supports - the windows are
automatically composited by the X server. The only change is that the
full window contents is now available as offscreen pixmaps.

This patch adds two things to dwm:
 - XComposite & XRender support (very small amount of code)
 - Exposé style window selector (with example use in config.def.h)

Currently all the windows are scaled down and fitted to a grid on the
screen. When a window is clicked on it is made the master window and
you are taken to its tag(s). Pressing any key cancels. It would be
quite easy to add keyboard support, but I only use it when sitting back
(in "mouse mode"), so have not done so. It works best with monocle
mode.

The patch is against current mercurial tip (rev. 1396), but will
probably work on other versions.

I have tested it a bit, and it shouldn't eat your computer, but no
guarantees.

Tom

--
Thomas Spurden