Re: [dev] [OT] Political Propaganda

From: Robert C Corsaro <rcorsaro_AT_optaros.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:44:25 -0400

Max Fischer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 11:09:51PM +0000, pancake wrote:
>
>> Wyrmskull said:
>>

>>> I don't think people know what's better for them.
>>> I bet that nothing good would come from a Facebook-like govt.
>>> If truely applied, democracy it's still the best tecnique we have to
>>> balance the extremisms.
>>> Wikis and collaborative works produce results mostly when supervised -
>>> but enlightened monarchies can too easily turn into tyrant's empires.
>>> Masses are too easily influenced by the media and they don't actually
>>> even deserve idealism.
>>> I'm probably just another quite disappointed guy from Italy.
>>>
>> Yep, I agree with you that people doesn't know what's better for them and
>> masses are easily manipulable by the medias. Facebook-like government
>> would be probably catastrofic, because people like to troll, and not
>> everybody likes or wants to decide their environment.
>>
>> I personally think that actually democracy is not only a way to control
>> extremisms, its also a way to shut up minority opinions, and manipulate
>> the opinion of the masses.
>>
>> That's because we think that it's actually the "best system", because ppl
>> can relay their life decisions to other people, and they are happy because
>> they can go home (if they can afford one), switch on the tv and have a
>> dinner while emptying their minds.
>>
>> This is a reflection of the society, which makes people's life as empty as
>> possible, get a job, pay a house for the rest of your life, have childrens
>> and
>> die. That's sadly the maximum expectations of humans.
>>
>> Maybe this is the "best" way to live, and at the end it's a personal
>> opinion,
>> and everybody is free to choose this kind of life. But srsly, actually
>> people
>> minds are enought empty to make impossible to let them to choose, because
>> society has been teached to be in this way. That's what medias, directed
>> by psycolists has done.
>>
>> And personally i dont relay on people managing such kind of life and
>> managing
>> those quantities of money. But as i said in the other mail..i dont want to
>> extend this offtopic much more :P it will probably get into nothing.
>>
>> EOF
>>
>> --pancake
>>

> Offtopic again:
> I agree with Wyrmskull's more pessimistic view on people's ablity to
> do a direct democracy and not fullfilling just their own needs.
> We're all (imo) too egoistic, you can maybe see that in the consumers
> behavior, while there are several economic grievances, the commercial
> sense points to 0. Everyone is still going into the biggest supermarkets
> and is buying mostly the cheapest crap. We would be able to choose in
> this case, but you can make a dozen more documentations and there still
> wouldn't be any change.

One problem I see in the US, is that people don't even vote to fulfill
their own needs. That would be an improvement over what we have now.
When the US elected Bush, was that to satisfy their own needs? I would
argue that he only served the needs of a very small minority. They
voted against their own best interest for emotional reasons.