Re: [dev] A lightwieight and working typesetting system.

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 12:36:43 +0200

[2009-09-05 11:22] stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de>
> * Mate Nagy <mnagy_AT_port70.net> [2009-09-05 10:19]:
> > This is the most serious drawback of TeX. Documents should look like
> > how the user wants them, not how the author wants them.
>
> --snip--
>
> I agree, ideally, the user should be able to see the stuff in a way he/she
> likes it, too. And this is not possible with a generated typesetted pdf/ps
> document. But if the author provides the source code (TeX) too, this should
> be good enough for the user.

This is then the point where the *roff tools are good examples, with
their split into `troff' for printer output and `nroff' for terminal
output, both from the same source.

Especially for man pages it is common to deliver the sources, not the
output. But this demands similar toolchains and no fancy extensions,
as they would need to be bundled, to allow compilation.

meillo