Re: [dev] [surf] patches: configurable file locations, bookmark writer, history writer

From: Ray Kohler <ataraxia937_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:31:51 -0400

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Enno Boland (Gottox)<gottox_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> You already can read surfs url by using xprop. This can be used to
> write a bookmark managing system. I'm thinking about adding the first
> patch but I'm not sure about the to others.

The difficulty with using xprop to read and write surf's URL is that
even though I have the XID when the session starts, there's a risk
that it changes. Links may open themselves in new windows, or the user
might choose to do it with webkit's context menu. It seems
uncomfortable to require the user of a bookmark managing system to do
some manual step to indicate which window their action applies to, so
I chose to let the window initiate the action, as in these patches,
which resolves the ambiguity.

My (barely considered) plan when loading a URL from bookmarks or
history was to just start another instance of surf rather than
interacting with an existing one, because of this multiple-window
problem. (This also protects me against coredumps in webkit, in sort
of a faux-Chrome way, but makes the various race conditions more
problematic.)

In any case, I don't think my ideas are the best ways to get this
functionality - just the best ways I could think of so far.

I've regenerated these patches after the last round of changes.