Re: [dev][surf] Next schedule?

From: <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:48:59 +0200

* Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl> [2009-09-17 10:16]:
> I usually have about 70 tabs open in Opera (and often lots more). Since
> Operas tab manager is *specialized* for this number of fullscreen
> windows it works well. I can easyli navigate those using single-letter
> keystrokes.
>
> This isn't possible or sensible in a wm which is designed for a somewhat
> different purpose and with rather different number of clients in mind.
>
> Stop this wm lunacy. dwm is just as limited for that purpose as is your
> next non-tiling WIMP-based window manager. Opera's built-in wm is a good
> workaround for that problem, I don't see in what way it is ugly (and it
> works already).

You are right -- opera (or whatever tabbed application ) may work perfectly
for what it is intended for: to manage multiple instances of the browser's
(application's) window and let them appear as one.

Then, from dwm perspective you are forced to see all tabs of this
application as a whole, e.g. assign it multiple tags and have all tabs in
all these tags, no matter weather relevant for the tag (or task, if we
assume tags mimic tasks) or not. Of course, you can open multiple windows
instead of tabs, but firing new window of firefox (currently) and opera (at
the time I stopped using opera) takes much more time and resources than
firing uzbl or surf.

I used to depend heavily on sessions and especially tabs. I started using
them in a non-tiling WM and was attracted by the lower memory consumption.
I even hacked couple of ugly scripts for loading and saving sessions in
w3m+screen. I misused tabs and sessions for bookmarking and TODO related
stuff, until I asked myself one day how would it be without them, and
found that there is life beyond tabs and sessions -- as it often happens
with fancy features. (which I surely don't need to tell to any
ex-wmii-now-dwm user, for instance)

cheers

--
 stanio_