Re: [dev] [DWM] suggestion for dwm

From: julien <Julien.Steinhauser_AT_orange.fr>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 22:12:03 +0100

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 07:20:53PM +0100, Julien Pecqueur wrote:

> I have a suggestion for DWM. I use DWM for about months and i miss one functionality : a trayer (a zone for icons in the status bar to reduce applications like xchat or to have icons for applications like gmixer, batterymon, wicd-client) in the status bar!
> Is it planned to implement this in DWM? If not, do you have a solution for me?

Hello,

This won't be solution but workarounds.

For wicd-client, a keyboard shortcut bound to "wicd-client -n"
and the icon in tray became useless.

Battery monitoring in dwm status bar with xsetroot is quite easy.

App reducing is already implemented in dwm,
you just have to send the client to an empty view and when you need it,
you can add this view to the actual one or remove it with a simple keybinding.

I know it wasn't really what you asked for but this is how i would do it.